Unity realtime shadows in preview window differ from standalone build

Hi,

We have a zSpace 300 with the latest system software, Win 8.1, Unity 2017.3.0f3. I was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue before… When using real time shadows after tweaking the various parameters, it looks correct when viewed using the zCore preview window. However when the standalone player is built the left eye is correct, but the right eye seems to have a negative image of the object offset from the real one with a shadow that is offset as well. I have struggled to find a solution but am unable to. Hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks!

We are experiencing the offset shadow in the right eye on our systems as well. For unknown reasons, real-time shadows in Unity fail to render properly when our specialized frustum matrices are applied to Unity’s stereo camera. We’re continuing to ping Unity about it, but currently have no time frame for when this might be resolved. I will file a new bug report with unity this evening since we’re continuing to experience the behavior in the new Unity 2018.1.0f2 as well.

While we do see the shadow offset, I’m unfamiliar with the negative image issue you mentioned. I’d be interested in investigating that as well. If you can provide an image capturing the issue, or even better, a simple Unity project/scene that reproduces the issue, I’d be happy to investigate.

Alex S.

Unity bug tracking link

https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1035542_48do15qctcoavv1g

Relaying a workaround discussed over email.

If the camera or graphics settings rendering path are set to deferred, then the offset shadows can be avoided. zCore’s Viewer Scale must be kept at a value of one for this work, or else other shadow issues present themselves. Its not a perfect workaround, but if dynamic shadows are essential, then its one way to go until the underlying problem is sorted out.