zSpace Laptop looks "zoomed in" when running an app created for the 300

Good morning. We are looking into why our program, Virtual ECG, does not display correctly on the zSpace Laptop. It was created for the 300 with the 5.0 SDK in Unity 5.1 (I believe). It looks like the laptop has the same desktop resolution, though obviously a smaller diagonal screen. Upon installing and testing it on a laptop, it ran fine, glasses and stylus tracked and interacted with the scene. Unfortunately, the view looked zoomed in to remove about 30% of the scene.

I checked online for a new SDK, but I did not see one available at this time. Is there a new SDK we need to develop apps for the laptop? If not, are there settings we need to change in our 5.0 camera to render out in a frame that will fit in the laptop screen?

Thanks in advance for your help. We are hoping to address a solution to this asap, so I appreciate any help I can get. Have a great afternoon!

Good morning!

The shrunk view on laptops is a known dynamic. I refrain from calling it a bug because it’s actually operating as intended. What the SDK is doing is honoring real world units. Say you ran an app on both the 300 and laptops where a 3d object of a certain length lied at the zero parallax. If you placed a physical ruler on the screens and measured the object’s length, they should both measure relatively the same on both the 300 and laptop. This is an inherent characteristic of how we’ve built our stereo system.

That being said, the solution is relatively simple. There’s a property called ViewerScale in the SDK. This property determines how real world units match up to virtual world units. If ViewerScale is set to one, then there will be a one-to-one match between one real world meter, and one virtual world unit. If you increase the ViewerScale to two, then one meter will be equivalent to two virtual world units. With that understanding, the solution to making virtual world objects appear to be identically sized relative to the size of the display its showing on would be to change the ViewerScale by a factor relative to the difference in screen sizes.
(There’s a function in the sdk for getting the display size as well.)

Hope that helps!

Alex S.

Also, I just wanted to add, updates are in the works for the Unity3D Plugin, and I would expect it to facilitate this through a toggle-able option. We haven’t set a tentative release date for this yet.